24 June 2010

Discursively, I Don't Play Games

I recently bought a travel Scrabble so that I could sit with a friend wherever we wanted to and play. When I first got a FB account I played a few games online with distant friends. It was a way to connect. The activity got old fast, and I figured out that I'd rather just telephone and visit.

Every once in a great while, I'm unable to make a decision about what to do next, and if my laptop's open, I might play one of the four free, bookmarked games I have. Generally though, I don't play games in the same way I don't own a TV, I don't care about professional sports; in the same way I walk on curbs, and take 2 months to fill my blue recycling bin.

The games for learning discourses are industry-driven. And although I've cited extensively educator-advocates, like Gee, Steinkuehler, and Aldrich in my own work, and have grown from their scholarship and praxis, industry-driven discourses are problematic because they exist solely to create needs and make a profit filling them. Evil capitalism aside somewhat, I walk on curbs, and logs, because I get to make up my own balance-myself games as well as get out from behind a screen and off my butt. Make my own game=invent/create, out from behind a screen=appreciate the natural world, off my butt=prevent chronic illnesses. You could invent, appreciate and prevent in a computer game too. No I take that back. At most, you can invent your own game. After that, you only appreciate a simulation of the natural world, and prevent chronic illnesses in a simulation of a life.