12 February 2011

User experiences embedded in the real world

I pulled my Dalai Lama books out of the closet and bought a few more too. I love Buddhism for it simple and practical wisdom. When you read someone who makes so much sense, you can't help but smile and just melt into the wisdom.

I've written elsewhere that I'm more or less a pragmatic technology user. I prioritize tools working. That means they do what the say they do, and do it elegantly.

I've begun noticing how easily my mood changes with bad user experiences. I become impatient and angry. And I've begun asking myself why I repeatedly put myself in the situation. While I'm answering that question, I'm also selectively opting out and not opting in to using new technologies. It's not worth my piece of mind.

In the past week, the syncing in Dropbox and Evernote stopped working. Two cloud computing systems, whereby you use the app and interface on different devices to do something "in the cloud" or online. In both cases I'd come to rely on the syncing function of these tools to make my work easier. I upload a file or edit a document on one device and the changes happen almost instantaneously on the other. When this stopped happening, and I expended my troubleshooting energy I was done. I moved my writing in EverNote, back onto local apps. In this case I use the Notes app on my phone for my journaling.

Today, I noticed again that Twitter doesn't always update on Facebook. I combined the two to not have to manage updates on both apps. I'm over it. I disconnected them and will do each or none "manually".

I live in a real world with lots of things I need and want to do. I'm starting to think differently about what I need and want to do with technology and it affects my piece of mind.