06 September 2011

My 2 cents on RSS

I've been using an RSS reader since 2006 or so. I'm surprised the idea hasn't caught on in the mainstream. I read newspapers, blogs, websites, job boards, and more with the reader. I skim it at least once a day, often more. I favorite items I want to read in more depth later.

Without RSS, I'd have to go to too many places. Without it, I wouldn't be able to keep up on trends in my field and the latest developments in the news and things that interest me.

My feeds are in topical folders. Some are public; some are private. I live online professionally, as Alec Couroso mentioned in his video, but I'm a rather private person too.

RSS filters the web. It directs my attention. It's also taught me how to consume more, differently. I skim a lot more than I actually read. I don't experience information overload as a result.

It's handy.