22 January 2012

When I Write Things Down I Get Things Done: Cognition

There's something to be said about the act of writing things down as part of the process of getting them done. I wrote down the things I wanted to get done yesterday, not in a list, which I usually do, but in a loosely connected mind-map. I wasn't in a high-powered check-things-off-the list mood. The things I needed to do were:
    write, 
                move, 
                                            think,  
   start,                write,                                  clean,    
                                                   write, 
                                            focus,                                                  think,             
                  watch,                            write,                   buy,                     enjoy,                     write. 

I'm not someone whose life is organized around lists, but rather someone who intuits the purpose of writing things down. It's a way to manipulate the quality of my intentions in order to manage my attention. Good coffee helps too.